The HOMECOMING

I have never thought that I could last 3 looooong years away from home. After surviving that much, I was able to find myself in the crowded arrival doors of Ninoy Aquino International Airport  via Gulf Air bound for Manila From Dubai.

While on the plane, I could not help myself wonder on how much the faces and places that i knew change and how it will surprise or otherwise affect me.

The biggest change that I have never expected is the one that is inevitable. 

When I first left the Philippines 3 years back, my father was already battling with diabetes. His legs bloated to extremities that he could not even afford to walk, plus the fact that he stopped talking since my grandmother died on 2008. We suspects that due to the side effects of his enormous  medications that he cease to care with world or maybe,he just really misses her mother that much.

My trip back to the Philippines was not a planned one.On 17th of October, I receive an SMS  from my aunt which was written by my sister informing me that our father was rushed to the hospital because he suffered a heart stroke.I was awaken from sleep on that Sunday morning by a phone call from my aunt in Manila telling me the same thing and asking me to come home as soon as possible. I was stunned... afterwards my knees rattle that i could not barely stand up. I don't know what to do and I don't know where to go. I eventually called my wife who is at her office at that time,barely muttering the words to her... "I Need To Go Home".

After arranging the necessary things and finalizing all the endorsements...I was packed and ready to leave...not having any thoughts of what awaits me back home.

As I rushed in the hospital room, I was teary eyed after seeing my father lying in a state of coma, I was trying to push myself for any courage that i could muster so that I could show my mother and sister that as a family, we should keep all our strength to keep on hoping for papa's early recovery.

After staying a day on his bedside, he was able to move his right arm and papa gently brushes my back while saying  all our names.Papa is showing some developments.On 23rd of October, he has been discharged from the hospital and was taken back home for his further recovery having a scheduled routine check up on the 6th of November. Thank God he is out of harms way and continuously recovering and finally asking for "ulam at kanin".

Knowing that papa is doing ok, i set for a trip to Zambales, papa's hometown.I plan to visit the grave of my grandmother and pay my last respects on her memory. The trip was set, we are northbound on the 10th of November. Together with my mother in law and brother in law, we set forth to Botolan,Zambales.

The weather is good in Zambales, it's a sunny day and we spent most of the day in the beach. Even the nights are brighter. We always eat our dinner by the sea while enjoying the heat given by the bonfire. Fresh yellow fin tuna's is always present in our dinner table and the bright full moon show the extra beauty of the sea. It was fun.

While we are packing on the 14th of November  for our return to Manila, I received yet another call from my aunt. Papa was rushed back again to the hospital.

Sadness was evident in papa's hospital room as I arrived,the clicking sound of the clock was like a beat of a war drum pounding every nerve we have as we wait for the results of his CT scan. We cannot help but shed a couple of tears as the doctor explained to us that papa has just survived 3 counts of heart stroke while in the emergency room.The doctor's announcement that a 50/50 chance of survival for papa if he would undergo operation is too high is like a sound of a bomb that continuously echoes and damage my ear. "We are just waiting"...that is the doctor's words.

That same night, we have agreed to grant one of papa's wish. We have arranged ambulatory services to bring him to his hometown in Botolan,Zambales. On the dawn of 17th November, he was on his way from Novaliches General Hospital to Zambales Provincial Hospital in IBA,Zambales by ambulance. In there, he was admitted  and was rushed to the ICU room thanks to my cousins Jean Karl and Kath who are working in the provincial hospital and did the necessary arrangements.

I cannot stand the view. Papa's feet were swelling from the wounds.Blood continues to drip from his bedsore's. There is nothing we can do to stop the bleeding. In spite of cleaning it every now and then...it still flows.I can feel how it hurts.It stings every flesh in my body.

The sound of the apparatus that are connected to papa was like a ticking time bomb for me. I could not help to ask myself  "When will it be?"

I cried and I cried loud.

November 20, 2010 at exactly 12:20noon, PAPA joined our Creator.After battling for so many years with Diabetes, he was laid to rest. His suffering ends. In his last moments, he was able to teach me one of life's greatest lesson. He taught me that all in life has an end.All that we can do is to prepare for our very own HOMECOMING.

No comments:

Post a Comment